Unmarried Couples

These days, it is fairly common for unmarried couples to live together (or “cohabitate”) in a committed relationship. Many unmarried couples, regardless of whether they live together or not, have children together. So what happens when unmarried couples split up? We can help.

Schedule an Initial Consultation

with an experienced attorney who can explain the rights and options for unmarried couples.

Cohabitation Agreements

Although some couples who cohabitate may want to get married one day, others do not. Most couples who cohabitate make major purchases together or even open joint bank or credit card accounts together. So how do you divide these things after you split up or decide to stop cohabitating?

A Cohabitation Agreement is a contract between two unmarried people who are in a committed romantic relationship and plan on (or already are) living together regardless of whether they ever plan to marry. Like with a Prenup, couples entering into a Cohabitation Agreement can decide how they want to divide their joint debts and assets in the event they break up or decide never to marry. Cohabitation Agreements are based on contract law, so it’s important to consult with an experienced attorney whether you want a Cohabitation Agreement written up or to review a Cohabitation Agreement given to you by your significant other.

Rights of Unmarried Parents

Just because you never married someone with whom you have a child doesn’t mean you are without rights to be a parent to that child. Under Oregon law, unmarried couples can still petition the court for custody, parenting time, and child support, just like married couples who are divorcing. To learn more about your rights as an unmarried parent, schedule an initial consultation.